Capt. Chao Awarded Medal Of Honor By St. John's University
Capt. James S.C. Chao, president and managing director of Foremost Maritime Corporation, New York, N.Y., a company he helped to found in 1964, recently received the Medal of Honor f r om St. John's University, Queens, N.Y. The medal was presented by the Very Rev. Joseph T. Cahill, C.M., at the institution's 112th commencement exercises held in the fall.
The Medal of Honor, the most prestigious and highest award granted by the university, was given to Captain Chao in recognition of his continuous professional and academic contributions to the shipping industry. Captain Chao serves on the St. John's advisory committee for its business administration programs and is active in its Asian Studies Center.
He received his master's degree in business administration and his doctorate in commercial science f r om St. John's.
Captain Chao is a director and chairman of the audit committee of the United Orient Bank in New York. He has served as president of Foremost Maritime Corp. for 12 years. The company represents a group of shipowners with more than 45 oceangoing vessels.
Besides long-term contracts in chartering and n e w b u i l d i n g s, Foremost is involved in ship financing.
Captain Chao is only the 19th alumnus of St. John's to receive the Medal of Honor.
Other stories from November 15, 1981 issue
- Paceco Moves Headquarters To New Gulfport, Miss., Plant page: 9
- Adm. Harold E. Shear Sworn-ln As Maritime Administrator page: 9
- President Reagan And Sponsor Authenticate Keel Of 'Yorktown' At Ingalls page: 10
- Marathon Launches Jackup Penrod 86 At Brownsville Yard page: 10
- Halter Delivers New Offshore Express Supply Boat page: 10
- New Compact Oil Water Separator From Sigma —Literature Available page: 10
- Seward, Alaska To Build Large Shipping Facility page: 11
- Inland Marine Delivers Towboat M/V Mike Schmaeng To Pott Industries page: 12
- Top Executive Changes Announced By Marco page: 13
- $30-Million Order Signed By Hongkong United Dockyards Ltd. page: 14
- Westinghouse Credit, Seafirst Leasing Provide Equity In Four- Towboat, 81-Barge Transaction page: 14
- SACM Publishes Brochure On Marine Diesel Engines —Copies Available page: 16
- Approve Application For $22 Million Title XI For Towboat, 68 Barges page: 16
- Literature Available From Marland On Inverto® Oil/Water Separator page: 16
- Publish New Brochure On End Entry Ball Valves From Zidell Explorations page: 18
- Appoint David Daniels National Sales Manager At M&T Chemicals page: 18
- Study Notes Upsurge In Offshore Rig Orders —U.S. Yards In Lead page: 19
- HUDSHIP Delivers The M/V Charles Haun To Parker Towing Company page: 19
- Chemical Waste Incinerator Ships Discussed At SNAME Chesapeake Section page: 19
- Port Of Portland Appoints European Representative page: 20
- Indonesia To Use Jetfoil In Naval, Commercial Roles page: 20
- Northern Radio Announces New HF/SSB Transceiver- Literature Available page: 21
- Mobile Workover Unit Houtech II Christened At Beth Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 21
- Christen Jackup J. Storm XVII At Bethlehem Steel's Beaumont Yard page: 22
- Mississippi Marine Delivers M/V Redneck—Second Of Three Towboats For Captain Hollinger page: 22
- $11.8-Million Navy Contract Awarded General Ship For Overhaul Of USS Vulcan page: 23
- Ohio River Officials Meet With Representatives Of Finnish Coal Interests page: 25
- Butterworth To Exhibit At Marintec China '81 page: 25
- Form New Repair Company To Service Mexican Gulf -Information Available page: 27
- NASSCO Delivers 'S/S Coast Range'— Second Of Three Carlsbad Class For Union page: 27
- Monark Boat Delivers Oil Recovery Vessel For Use On Lake Maracaibo page: 28
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Two Supply Vessels To Golden Gulf page: 28
- Imperial Oil Planning Semisub Drilling Rig With 6,000-Foot Capability page: 29
- Canadian Survey Shows 400 New Vessels Needed During Next Ten Years page: 34
- Santander Shipyard To Increase Drydock Capacity To 25,000-Dwt page: 34
- M. Rosenblatt Promotes Three To Company Officers page: 36
- Capt. Chao Awarded Medal Of Honor By St. John's University page: 37
- UPSCO Launches Hull Number 001 — A 120-Foot Tug For An ITB page: 38
- SNAME-Hawaii Discusses High-Speed Catamaran Hydrofoils page: 38
- Four New Branch Managers Appointed At M. Rosenblatt page: 53
- Report On Laser Technology Made To ASNE Long-Beach-Greater L.A. Section page: 58