Keel Laid At Jeffboat Yard For Paddlewheeler 'General Jackson'
With an assist from Grand Ole Opry star Minnie Pearl, the keel has been laid for the General Jackson, a 274-foot paddlewheel showboat being built for Opryland USA Inc. of Nashville by Jeffboat, Inc. in Jeffersonville, Ind.
Miss Pearl joined a Nashville delegation that included U.S. Representative Bill Boner at the ceremony on the banks of the Ohio River.
She and Opryland president E.W. Wendell presented Jeffboat president Robert W. Greene III with a plaque made of wood taken from the historic Ryman Auditorium, long-time home of the Grand Ole Opry. The wood for the plaque was taken from the stage of the Ryman and has the General Jackson logo engraved on it.
Following the presentation, crane operators lifted a 50-foot-long section of the Jackson's hull and positioned it next to an 80-foot section already in place at the construction site.
When completed in 1985, the General Jackson will become "America's premier showboat," Opryland officials said. It will operate year-round on the Cumberland River, which flows beside the Opryland USA entertainment complex in Nashville.
The showboat will offer morning, day, and evening cruises, the latter to feature fine dining and an elaborate musical production. The theater in the vessel will seat 670 people for banquets or 1,000 people for theater-style presentations.
Jeffboat, the nation's largest inland shipyard, will assign some 130 employees to the Jackson's construction at the peak of the project.
Nickum & Spaulding Associates of Seattle is the naval architecture and marine engineering firm on the project.
Opryland has earmarked more than $10 million for the General Jackson project to cover vessel construction, a dock on the Cumberland River, and passenger loading facilities. The Jackson is scheduled for launching in February 1985, and is expected to be in operation in Nashville by mid-year.
Other stories from October 15, 1984 issue
- McDermott Scotland Gets $ 8 5 + Million Order For Offshore Jacket & Modules page: 4
- Keel Laid At Jeffboat Yard For Paddlewheeler 'General Jackson' page: 6
- Bender Monitors Protect Offshore Power Supplies page: 6
- Hyundai Delivers First Ship Built In Korea For Australian Owner page: 6
- Cantrill Appointed Vice President of Sales For Lister Diesel Inc. page: 7
- Helton Appointed Vice President Of Sea-Land Alaska Division—Other Promotions Announced page: 7
- Cape-Bay Shipbuilders Offer Free Literature On "American Tug-Yacht 38' page: 8
- Capital Marine Uses Computer Technology To Streamline Business page: 8
- KaMeWa Reports Lively Interest In Water Jet Propulsion Units page: 9
- Hirt Named West Gulf Operations Manager For Ryan-Walsh Stevedoring page: 9
- St. Augustine Trawlers Awarded Contract To Build Cat-Powered Vessel page: 11
- Most Powerful Heavy Lift Cargo Ship Delivered by Hitachi Zosen page: 11
- United Technologies Names Skiba Operations Director For Diesel Systems Unit page: 14
- Literature Available On Harbormaster Transverse Mounted Propulsion Unit page: 14
- Hyde Awarded Contracts For Deck Machinery On Korean-Built Vessels page: 16
- Scientific-Atlanta Gets $8.5-Million Contract For Shipboard Platform Work page: 16
- New Literature Describes Neese Protective Clothing page: 16
- GASTECH '84 page: 18
- PAMS Installs New Drydock At Its River Plant page: 22
- Kidde Offers Free Brochure On Marine Fire Protection page: 22
- Sternwheeler 'Music City Queen7 Delivered By Marine Builders page: 26
- 70-Page Color Brochure And Orderbook Chart Available From Samsung page: 26
- Furuno Appoints New Direct Sales Force page: 28
- Hitachi Completes Crude/Products Carrier For Arapaho Shipping page: 28
- Crude/Chemical/Products Tanker Delivered By Wartsila's Turku Yard page: 30
- Big Ship Radar Line Introduced By Furuno page: 30
- EXPOSHIP Far East 84 page: 32
- Literature Available On Supercompact Radar From Furuno page: 35
- New Brochure Describes Heat Exchanger Designs page: 35
- Etheridge, Mangum And Brightwell Join SOFEC In Houston Office page: 35
- Halifax Shipyard Gets Contract For C$10.7 Million To Modernize Canadian Coast Guard Tender page: 39
- Pientka And Brooks Named Vice Presidents At Comstat TeleSystems page: 39
- Newport News Shipbuilding Readies Roosevelt For Launch page: 39
- Multipurpose Vessel xHoegh Dyke' Delivered By Wartsila's Turku Yard page: 40
- Hugh Morgan Elected Vice Chairman And A Director Of Sonat Inc. page: 40
- ASMAR Completes Repairs To Chilean-Owned Frieghter page: 45
- Articulated Loading Platform Now Operating At Mobil's Statfjord XXC" Site page: 46
- Wartsila To Build 2,500-Passenger Ferry For Rederi AB Slite page: 46
- Mitsui Completes Big Products Tanker For Olympos Trading Corporation page: 47