Free Literature Offered On The GPS Core Module From Sperry Corporation
Sperry Corporation of Charlottesville, Va., has recently made available literature on the Sperry GPS Core Module the company has designed and manufactured specifically for the marine environment.
The Sperry GPS Core Module is a single-channel, C/A Code, sequenced receiver, with position calculation accuracy to 30M. Latitude, longitude and GMT are available every two seconds on either of two RS232 Ports.
The Core Module can be directly connected to Sperry Satnav's or Sperry PCs (or IBM compatible).
Optional interfaces range from simple navigators to integrated systems.
Owners of one of the following satellite navigators will be interested to know that Sperry can upgrade your existing set to a full Global Positioning System receiver: S p e r r y 501TR/GPS; Sperry SRN501; Sperry ESZ4000; and SAL4000.
The Sperry GPS Core Module enables the reception and navigation computations from both the Transit and GPS satellites to be displayed on your existing system display.
During the transition from Transit to GPS, the 501 TR/GPS will automatically select the best fix source and continue to provide you with total navigation data with no need for time-consuming switching or input coding. In GPS mode, the 501's format will provide continuous course readout and bottom speed at any depth.
When GPS is available, the Satnav display shows GPS in lieu of "DRT" (dead reckoning time). Position updates then occur every two seconds with a smoothed display update every 10 seconds, completely independent of heading or speed input errors. Navigation calculations such as CMG/SMG/SET/ DRIFT, and waypoints are virtually real-time information.
New Transit Satnav positions will continue to update and the "alert" page is updated as normal. When less than 3 GPS satellites are available, the display automatically reverts to "Transit" Satnav mode.
Dead reckoning by log and gyro inputs then updates position information, rather than relying on inaccurate extrapolations of clock error using information from only two GPS satellites.
An alternative method to display LAT/LONG/TIME/SMG is to connect one of the GPS Core Module's RS232 outputs to a Sperry or compatible PC display units. With this method of display the navigator has many powerful uses for the GPS Core Module information, including: continuous LAT/LONG/ SPEED; display GPS Satellite Advisory Software; use in digital track plotting. Suitable PCs are those with 8088 processors and 8087 coprocessors.
(Color monitor required for track plotting and Advisory Software).
Leading up to the time when enough GPS satellites are in operation to give worldwide two-dimensional coverage, there will be periods when continuous GPS Fixes are not available. Sperry addresses this situation in two ways: (1) With the GPS Core Module connected to the Satnavs above, the display automatically reverts to Transit mode when GPS fixes are not available; (2) Sperry provides free, the GPS Satellite Advisory Software diskette, which predicts periods of coverage and additional satellite parameters at any given position or date. This graphic software allows anyone with a Sperry PC compatible personal computer to have, at his fingertips, the necessary information for navigation planning.
The publication includes a liftout technical data sheet that gives detailed performance information and physical facts.
For full details and a free copy of the color literature on the Sperry GPS Core Module, Circle 95 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from November 1986 issue
- Colonna's Shipyard In Norfolk Gets Floating Dock From Holland page: 6
- Korkut Engineers Offers Computer Programs For Commercial Use page: 7
- Lindenau Introduces Design For Novel 240-Passenger Sail-Cruiser page: 7
- Keel Laid At Rauma Yard For Soviet Multipurpose Antarctic Research Ship page: 8
- $40-Million MSC Contract To Moss Point Marine To Construct Army LSVs page: 9
- Wartsila To Produce Ship Accommodations In Korea page: 10
- New York Port Engineers Discuss Computerizing Diesel Fuel Quality page: 12
- Woodward Governor Co. Appoints Pete Gomm page: 12
- Free Color Brochure On Fincantieri CNI's Diesel Engines Division page: 13
- T.A.S.T. To Represent Dan-Vaerft A / S In U.S. And Canadian Markets page: 13
- Navy Issues Contract To WABCO For Propulsion Controls For T-AO Oilers page: 14
- Ashland's New Towboats Being Built By Quality Shipyards To Be Powered By Caterpillar Engines From Whayne page: 14
- W.J. Holcombe Elected Chairman And CEO Of Transamerica Delaval page: 15
- McDermott Gets Contracts Valued At $15 Million To Install Offshore Structures page: 15
- Sermatech International Offers 12-Page Brochure On Coatings And Repairs page: 16
- McAllister Bros. Appoints Martyn Reynolds VP-Sales page: 16
- Union Bay Marine And Thomas Dyer Form New Company page: 18
- Aeroquip Introduces New High-Temperature Hose page: 18
- Meyer Werft Constructing Roofed-Over Building Dock For Specialized Vessels page: 18
- M.E.K. Equipment Offers New Crane Bumpers page: 19
- Keyed Quick-Connects Assure Safety In Multiple Line Systems page: 19
- U.K. Ministry Of Defence Selects MFV Incinerators For Royal Navy Frigates page: 20
- Parametrics Offers Two New Free Brochures On AC Motor Speed Control page: 20
- Onan Expands Generator Line—Adds 12.5-KW And 30-KW Diesel Sets page: 22
- Latest Ingalls LHD Contract Has $1.1-Billion Potential page: 22
- Bird-Johnson Building World's Most Powerful CP Propellers For DDG-51 page: 25
- Fuel And Lube Oil System Repair Topic At Los Angeles SNAME Meeting page: 25
- SNAME 94th Annual Meeting And Fifth International Maritime Exposition page: 26
- Penske Literature Details New Onboard Diagnostic System page: 56
- U.K.-Built Danish Ferries Will Have MacGregor-Navire Access Equipment page: 57
- South Korean Yard Hyundai To Lengthen ACL Containerships —Valued $20 Million page: 58
- Maxim® Evaporators Introduces New Standard Designs page: 58
- Peterson Builders Launches Another Minecountermeasure Ship, MCM-3 page: 60
- Volvo Penta Names Alan Revington New General Manager page: 62
- New Pall Diesel Lube Oil Filters Offer 10-Micron Absolute Filtration page: 64
- Manitowoc Appoints Wacht VP And General Manager Of Two Subsidiaries page: 64
- Nichols Brothers Awarded Schooner Hull Contract From Marimed page: 66
- SWDiesel's SW 280 V-12 Engine Passes Tilt Performance Test page: 68
- Hospital Ship Conversions By NASSCO Topic At New York SNAME Meeting page: 68
- IMA To Publish Assessment Of Future U.S. Marine Market Growth —Commercial And Naval— page: 70
- First Of Two Big Exxon Tankers Christened At National Steel Yard page: 70
- Resistoflex Offers Free Literature On High Performance Fluid Systems page: 71
- Perkins Introduces Compact V-8 Diesel Designed By Rolls-Royce page: 72
- Moller Orders Five Ships From Odense Steel Yard —Value $150 Million— page: 74
- Wilton-Fijenoord Yard Awarded $26.7-Million Contract To Build Two Patrol Vessels For Taiwan page: 74
- New Literature Offered On Chesterton Labyrinth Seals page: 75
- Fifth Aegis Cruiser 'Bunker Hill' Commissioned In Boston Ceremony page: 76
- Drydock Used To Load Alaskan Modules Out Of Portland Shipyard page: 76
- Free Color Brochure From Envirovac Describes Vacuum Sewage Systems page: 77
- World Orderbook For 20 VLCCs At Highest In Seven Years page: 78
- New Owners Will Reorganize Sudmarine Firm page: 78
- Blystad Ships Will Join Stolt-Nielsen Parcel Tanker Fleet Pool page: 78
- Ingersoll-Rand Offers Free Color Brochure On Gas Compressors page: 79
- Enterprise Marine Completes First Major Ship Repair Contract page: 80
- Free 24-Page Technical Article On Asbestos-Free Packing Materials Offered page: 80
- Sperry Gets $17.5-Million Navy Contract To Design And Build LCAC Trainer page: 81
- Spinner II Oil Cleaning Centrifuges Reduce Engine Wear Rates— Literature Offered page: 82
- Johnson Named President, Ship Engineering & Design For Advanced Marine page: 82
- Bailey Controls Unveils Multi-Function Controller page: 82
- Hagglunds Offers Free 92-Page Publication On Cranes, Deck Machinery, Cargo Equipment page: 83
- Andersson Appointed VP, Marketing & Sales For Wartsila Diesel, Inc. page: 83
- D-C Drives Maintenance Training Courses Offered By Reliance Electric Co. page: 84
- CCT Assets Acquired By Crowley Maritime page: 84
- Sales Of MAN B&W Diesel's MC Engine Series Now More Than 10 Million BHP page: 84
- Bird-Johnson Acquires HDF And Olympic Propeller Companies And Realigns Management page: 85
- Arneson Surface Drives Offer Performance With Reliability page: 86
- M a l t a Drydock Awarded $10-Million Contract To Upgrade P & O Cruise Ship page: 87
- Compact Control Valve Does Job Of Much Larger Units page: 87
- Datamarine International And Stephens To Merge page: 88
- A&T Wins Contracts Worth $18.6 Million; Backlog At $95 Million page: 88
- Advanced Structures Offers New Free Brochure On Honeycomb Panels For Shipboard Applications page: 89
- Falk Introduces New RW Series Energy-Efficient Marine Drive page: 89
- Caterpillar Marine Service Directories Now Available page: 90
- Toma Named Marine Systems Sales Representative In Miami page: 91
- M A N B & W Engines Will Power Sitmar Cruise Ship Ordered At French Yard page: 91
- Siemens Offers Cost-Effective Solutions In Automation Systems page: 92
- Free Literature Offered On The GPS Core Module From Sperry Corporation page: 92
- Garlock Offers 40-Page 'Engineered Gasketing Products' Catalog page: 93
- Hempel Adds 'Combic' To Its Range Of Antifouling Products page: 96
- Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators For Surimi Processors page: 105
- Big Multipurpose Ship Delivered By Wartsila-Turku To USSR page: 105
- Blount Marine Lays Keel For Neuman Boat Line Ferry page: 105
- Remanufactured Crankshafts That Meet Marine Society Requirements Now Available page: 105