Furuno Introduces New Products; Is Now Distributor For Lokata EPIRBs
—Literature Available— Furuno U.S.A., Inc., South San Francisco, Calif., recently introduced a new low-cost searchlight sonar to their line of professional fish finding equipment, and added the FCV-551 eight-color video sounder to its sounder family. In addi- tion, the company was appointed exclusive distributor for the Lokata line of 406 MHz distress beacons in the U.S.
The CH-18 color searchlight sonar, for commercial and serious sport fishermen, is a compact system that provides an extremely bright eightcolor non-fading picture on a high resolution 8-inch CRT with selectable background color. The system consists of only two units for easy installation. The display unit can be very conveniently mounted in even small pilothouses, while the transducer unit requires only a 6-inch I.D. hull pipe.
The CH-18 offers a powerful 800W (rms) transmitter operating at 180 kHz and has automatic or manual training in 6 degree steps around a full circle, or in any of eight operator selectable sectors.
Performance features include offcentering, target alarm, VRM and EBL, 6.5 degree high resolution conical beam, 11 ranges to 1,800 feet, audio monitor, noise limiter and interference rejector. Options include handheld remote control and electronic transducer stabilization.
The FCV-551 500W (rms), singlefrequency, eight-color video sounder with high resolution 8-inch CRT has now been added to the sounder family that includes the dual-frequency FCV-552 introduced last year.
Both units can provide, with optional sensors, a historical temperature plot covering the range from 23 to 86 degree F on the lower third of the CRT. Or they can interface with onboard loran or sat nav receivers to function as video plotters complete with present position, track plot, event marks, present and past waypoints, range/bearing to waypoint, and current time, as well as position, depth, temperature and time data for past waypoints.
The FCV-551 is available in either 50 or 200 kHz operating frequencies.
It has internal memory to store a full page of data in any mode, alarms for fish, bottom, midlayer, or temperature, it stores up to 16 events, and operates from a universal 11-40 VDC power supply drawing just 50 W.
Furuno's new FCV-551, and the entire FCV-550 series, has the performance features for complete fishing database management.
The Lokata line of 406 MHz distress beacons, for which Furuno was recently appointed exclusive distributor in the U.S., transmit on the worldwide frequency for satelliteaided search and rescue, and include information on ship identification and type of emergency. Signals are relayed via polar-orbiting COSPAS-SARSAT satellites to ground stations which then calculate vessel position to within 1-2 km.
Furuno offers three versions of the Lokata EPIRB, two Category 1 float-free units and one Category 2 unit. In Category 1, Models 406H and 406HH are available, the latter including a built-in heater to insure release in severe icing conditions.
Once installed, these units are fully automatic, designed to float free and begin transmitting should the vessel sink or capsize.
While these new 406 MHz EPIRBs are now authorized for any vessel equipped with a VHF ship station, the U.S. Coast Guard has ruled that uninspected fishing vessels operating on the high seas must have an FCC Type Category 1 406 MHz EPIRB on board by August 17, 1989; if the vessel has an operable 121.5 MHZ Classs A EPIRB that was installed prior to October 3, 1988, it has until August 17, 1994 to fit the new style unit.
For free literature detailing the Lokata line of 406 MHz distress beacons, Circle 24 on Reader Service Card For free full-color literature on Furuno's CH-18 color searchlight sonar, Circle 25 on Reader Service Card For further information and fullcolor literature on Furuno's expanded FCV-550 series color sounder line, Circle 26 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from February 1989 issue
- Shipyard Opened By North Carolina DOT; Features New Synchrolift page: 4
- Unitor Announces New Owner Structure page: 5
- Marine Electric Moves To New Facilities; Divides Into Three Separate Firms page: 5
- Caterpillar Wins $1.4-Million Navy Mine Plow Contract page: 5
- PACECO Acquired By Mitsui Engineering —Literature Available page: 6
- HMS Marine Hardware Offers Smoke-Gard Curtains For Shipboard Smoke Containment Uses page: 6
- Sperry Marine Offers Six-Page Full-Color Brochure On RASCAR page: 7
- MMC Offers Free Catalog On Tank Gauging Tapes And Vapor Control Valves page: 8
- Southern Shipbuilding Completes Conversion Of Hopper Dredge page: 9
- Bird-Johnson To Expand Pascagoula Facility page: 9
- Lister Chain To Open U.S. Anchor Chain Plant —Literature Available page: 10
- Compact Weather Facsimile From Raytheon Can Be Programmed For Unattended Operation page: 10
- Valve Cage Repairing: An Example Of MWH's Service To The Customer page: 10
- Runyan Machine Completes Conversion Of Supply Boat Into Passenger Vessel page: 11
- Willcox North America Opens New Service Center —Literature Offered page: 11
- CANADIAN MARITIME INDUSTRIES ASSOCIATION'S 41st ANNUAL TECHNICAL CONFERENCE AND CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING & OFFSHORE EXHIBITION page: 12
- Call For Papers For Symposium On National Shipbuilding Research page: 12
- Shieldings To Buy Versatile Pacific page: 12
- SPD Technologies Marks First Full Year And 100th Anniversary In Ceremonies page: 13
- New US-China Pact Offers Opportunities To Shipping Lines page: 14
- SPD Technologies Completes Acquisition Of Dyncorp Unit page: 15
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 16
- Leevac Awarded Conversion Contracts —Literature Available page: 24
- Carrier Transicold Offers Free Marine Refrigeration Sales & Service Directory page: 25
- McDermott Signs Letter Of Intent To Acquire Avondale Offshore Division Assets page: 25
- Textron Marine Wins LCAC Program Contracts Worth $225 Million page: 26
- ITT Antarctic Seeks Bids For Charter/Purchase Of Icebreaker For NSF page: 26
- LONG TERM OUTLOOK FOR U.S. NAVY SHIPBUILDING page: 29
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 35
- Lightweight Lifting Slings From Slingmax Rigging Products Used In Navy Ship Launching page: 42
- PROMISING FUTURE FOR CANADIAN NAVAL SHIPBUILDING page: 44
- Avondale Shipyards Christens USS Tortuga (LSD-46) For Navy page: 46
- MSI Offers Naval And Commercial Training At Simulator Complex page: 47
- Trinity Marine Group Acquires Lockheed Shipbuilding Yard page: 48
- Avondale Christens U.S. Navy Fleet Oiler, USNS Leroy Grumman (T-AO-195) page: 48
- Colonna's Begins Repair Of U.S. Navy Frigate Under $3-Million Contract page: 48
- Versatile Pacific Delivers Arctic Icebreaker 'Henry Larsen' To Canadian Coast Guard page: 51
- Nichols Brothers Delivers High-Speed Army Catamaran For Use In Marshall Islands page: 51
- Cunico Offers Free 60-Page Catalog On Fittings And Flanges page: 52
- SNAME Section Calls For Papers For Ice Tech Symposium page: 52
- Renk Tacke Reports Over 100 RCF Gears Sold To Date page: 52
- Recent U.S. Navy Flag Officer Nominations page: 53
- Schoellhorn-Albrecht Under New Leadership page: 53
- Furuno Introduces New Products; Is Now Distributor For Lokata EPIRBs page: 54
- Color Brochure Offered On New High-Tech Marine Repair Lift page: 54
- Leslie Controls Introduces New SDM 5000 Flow Computer page: 54
- Cooper Bearing Offers Free Catalog, Booklet On Marine Roller Bearings page: 55
- CTI Industries Names Jeff Longmore Manager, Coatings Division page: 56
- B&W Product Tanker 'Petrobulk Mars' Is First Ship Ever To Be Equipped With One-Man Operated Bridge page: 56
- Electric Boat To Build First Seawolf Submarine Under $726-Million Pact page: 57
- Free 88-Page Catalog On Product Lines Offered By Crosby Group page: 57
- Voith Receives Orders For Four Water Tractors page: 58
- MagneTek ALS Adds Pease, Rizzotti To Staff page: 59
- Dehumidification, Sealing, Monitoring System Installed On MSC Ship By L&C page: 59
- Volvo Penta Enters New Market Segment For Workboat Engines With 16-Liter Marine Diesel page: 61
- Zodiac Hurricane RIBs Ideal For Use As Rescue Craft page: 63
- Mid-Coast Marine Lengthens And Modifies Fishing Vessel Pegasus page: 63
- Kockums Receives $2.7 Million In Orders For Steerbear Systems page: 63
- New Color Video Sounder From Raytheon Offers Advanced Multi-Screen Presentations page: 65
- Siemens Offers Free 100-Page Catalog On Contractors And Starters page: 65
- National Forge Wins Navy Contracts Totaling More Than $28 Million page: 66
- Boston Whaler Introduces 36-Foot Welded Aluminum Patrol Boat 'Defiance' page: 71
- Haynes Buys Bendix Industrial Diesel Fuel Injection System Product Line page: 71
- Swagelok Offers Literature On Quick-Connects For Corrosive Applications page: 71
- Viking Introduces Ship Evacuation Slide page: 74
- 'Immersion' Suits Replace Outdated 'Exposure' Suits page: 75
- Repair Of Naval Vessel Aided By Power Team Hydraulic Rams page: 76